Monday, August 15, 2011

Cool as a Cucumber [Sandwich].

If you're still suffering in the heat and running out of no-oven-needed meal ideas, help is on the way!

When Doug and I first started dating, he told me about these cucumber-black olive-cream cheese sandwiches that his mom made for him, growing up. The combination struck me as a bit odd, but once I tried it for myself, it quickly became a favorite that I like to recreate every once in a while.

Anyway, last week, I picked up a discounted French bread-like loaf from the bakery and some Neufchatel cheese. We had a cucumber and a can of sliced olives on hand, so a fantastically simple (and frugal) dinner was on the way:



Served open-faced, with a black eye pea/tomato/red onion salad on the side. You could use any type of crusty bread, really. It works well with sourdough, French, whole wheat... You choose.

I lightly toasted the bread, spread on the Neufchatel, topped with cucumber slices (peeled off the skin and scooped out the seeds as a personal preference), sprinkled with salt & pepper and then crushed the olive slices on top. The textures of this sandwich are pretty amazing. Light, crisp, delicate and refreshing, and simultaneously filling and savory.

If I ever get around to opening my own restaurant or sandwich shop, I'll be sure to put this one on the menu. My first inclination was to name it "The Doug," but that seems like a better name for something that may or may not include bacon and peanut butter. Since it is, in my opinion, a more sophisticated sandwich, I think I'll go with "The Douglas." Enjoy!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

The Douglas definitely sounds more sophisticated. Maybe even add an extra "s" for extra class? If I think of the Doug I think of the King of Queens epsidoe where he fights with Deacon about getting a sandwich named after him. Thank god yours doesnt have gravy!

Not gonna lie, this concoction sounds really interesting. I like all of the ingredients, just not sure about all together. I guess there is only one way to find out though right?