Monday, June 21, 2010

Salad Squared.

Tonight, Doug and I whipped up some special salads that made for a great, quick summer dinner.

I caught a recipe for Potato Salad with Green & White Beans on Serious Eats. The recipe, of course, was by Kristen from Cheap Healthy Good, whose site I raved about earlier today. It was a great spin on the same ol' potato salad:



Changes I made: Weighed out enough potatoes for 4 servings, not six; used 2 tbsp olive oil instead of 1/3 cup; 2 tsp of dried basil in place of fresh; used a can of green beans instead of messing with fresh ones (personally, I sometimes like the texture/flavor of canned green beans and thought they would go well with this dish anyway).

While I was working on that, Doug was putting together a shrimp salad, to be served on a baguette with guacamole:



He mixed:
  • 2 servings chopped cooked shrimp
  • 2 tbsp light mayo
  • diced cucumber
  • chopped red onion
  • chopped celery
  • little bit of Dijon mustard
  • salt
  • pepper





Doug mentioned how he wished he mixed a little Tabasco sauce with the shrimp salad before serving it up. I still poured a few drops on after the sandwich was made anyway and it was a really nice touch!

Loved the potato salad and looking forward to leftovers tomorrow. I'm thinkin' of adding some diced tomatoes and feta to it for a good lunch. It's pretty versatile and lends itself to all types of other mix-ins.

Great dinner! Back to our regularly scheduled Monday night TV programming. This gal needs to relax!

1 comment:

FatFighterTV said...

I love salads so much, especially this time of year! Your post makes me want to mix up a few different ones like you did. Mmm...