Sunday, May 23, 2010

Veggies galore.

I think I'm one of very few bloggers writing up a post during the Lost finale right now. Doug has left me for the evening and joined our housemate to watch it downstairs. I'll admit, I'm that bitch who rolled her eyes when the show came up in conversation and said "So what, are they on the island? Off the island? I don't get it, man." Oh well. I love my TV, but just couldn't get into this one. Anywho.

After a few days of eating a laughable amount of produce (caramel apples and pizza sauce count, right?), it seemed like a good idea to pull out all of the stops and throw together a big ol' salad:



Aye, she was a big 'n', indeed. In the mix:
  • about a handful of spinach spring mix
  • a few handfuls of romaine/iceberg/red cabbage/carrot/radish mix
  • more grated carrot
  • beets (my first time trying them- not too shabby!)
  • black olives
  • grilled chicken
  • chickpeas
  • crimini mushrooms
  • tomatoes
  • cucumber
  • light salsa ranch dressing
  • grated parmesan
  • salt/pepper
  • crushed red pepper
  • green onion


I contemplated saving some of it for tomorrow, but it was one of those dishes I couldn't tear myself away from because each bite had a different combo of mix-ins, all of which were crazy-awesome. It was like a salad adventure, heh. I've been craving chickpeas for about a week now too, so those hit the spot all on their own.

Although the salad proved to be the healthiest, most balanced thing I ate in days, I'm still feeling the lovely pudgy effects of the aforementioned junk. Still no guilt, but definitely ready to lighten things up in the coming days, food wise. My body has a threshold for too much crap and is looking forward to all of that good, whole, fresh stuff. And I'm proud of myself for not beating myself up with exercise so far either. I got a workout in today just to feel alive and get my blood flowin', not so much to burn off ice cream.

I'm feeling good right now. Content, not stressed. Calm, not guilt-ridden. Should I have practiced better eating habits the past few days? Of course. Always. But I didn't and the world is indeed still intact. Progress. She feels good.

2 comments:

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

YUM! I love salsa ranch and have been craving a huge salad like that for soooo long!

Tamara said...

@Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat)

Yeah, I haven't been using salad dressing too much these days, but I'm glad I had salsa ranch in the fridge- it totally hit put this salad over the edge, in a good way!