Friday, August 27, 2010

Pancakes and Push-ups

This morning, I tried the beginner/20 minute workout from Bob Harper's Pure Burn Super Strength DVD. As part of my 10K training schedule, I was supposed to do a 2 mile run plus some strength training, so it seemed like a good opportunity to try the shorter workout.

It really is a beginner's workout. It's super-basic, but still functional. You work your upper body with bicep curls, various dumbbell raises, rows and push-ups. You briefly work your lower body with weighted squats and lunges. The workout ends with some basic ab crunches and then you're done.

While this shorter workout was perfect for complementing my run, it really doesn't seem like it would be much of a workout on its own. You could significantly increase the weight to make some of the moves more challenging, but I still found it to be too short and basic to be effective with increased use (it's only 20 minutes including the warm-up and cool down). But, that said, if someone truly is brand new to working out, this is a great stepping stone into learning proper form for popular strength exercises. Bob does a good job of describing proper form with every move.

I'm planning on trying the full one-hour workout in the next few days, so be on the lookout for another review soon.

Moving on to food, I had such a tasty breakfast this morning! I got my new issue of Health magazine the other day and came across a great recipe for Blueberry Oat Pancakes with Maple Yogurt.

I used the recipe as more of a guideline though and threw together my own version:
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/4 cup fat-free cottage cheese
  • 1/4 egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/3 cup blueberries
  • splenda and cinnamon to taste (optional)
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, saving the blueberries for last. Pour batter onto a heated pan, cooking/flipping as needed.

My version yielded 2 mid-size cakes and they were so good! They turned out much better than I thought. I didn't take a picture though because they weren't all that photogenic. Quick, filling pancakes that I look forward to making again this weekend! I just had mine with syrup since I'm out of yogurt.

That's all for now. I took the day off from work and need to take advantage of a cheap berry sale at the grocery store before all the good ones are gone!

No comments: