Friday, August 21, 2009

Weigh-in Day.

Today's weight: 162. A gain of 2.2 pounds. Um, what? Seriously? I'm really, really not happy to see this. At all. First of all, I was so close to hitting the 90 pounds mark and having a normal BMI. Second, I'm back in the 160s. I've been trying to get out of the 160s since May. And here we are, rolling out of August and September will be here before you know it. Third, I kicked ass this week. I had one day (last Saturday) where I went over my points, but it wasn't even close enough to warrant a 2 pound gain. I earned 34 activity points this week; 3400 calories burned.

An unwarranted gain is nothing new to me. I've experienced them before. It's just part of the process. I understand that. But I'm just so tired of wild card weigh-ins, be they good or bad, where I really cannot figure out what worked/didn't work that week. I only have a couple of guesses for this week: 1) I didn't eat enough in relation to my activity; 2) I experienced a lot of bloating from eating a lot of fiber? I don't know. I usually eat a lot of fiber anyway, so I'm not sure what made this week different. I did notice I've been super-bloated the past few days, but I thought working out would get rid of it. I had a couple of days where my sodium was a bit high, but nothing insane. It was a pretty normal week, in terms of food. I did consume a lot more caffeine than normal though... I got on a coffee kick this week and I usually never drink the stuff, let alone a cup every day. I don't think that was the culprit though... I don't friggin' know.

I know, "I've come so far!" Blah, blah, blah. I know I've accomplished a lot as far as the big picture goes, but to be perfectly honest, I really don't give a shit about the big picture right now. And at this very moment, I don't even know what I care about. I'm so frustrated and desperate to know exactly why my body does what it does week to week, that I can't really focus on anything else.

SIGH. I'll be alright. I'll get over it (already starting to). I just needed to bitch 'n' whine. I'm still a little lost on how to approach this week. I'm still debating on whether or not to try the Wendie Plan. Perhaps I've hit a plateau and I've just been in denial for the past month. I don't know. I suppose it's worth a shot, but at the same time, I'm going out of town this weekend, to grandma's house no less, so trying to stick to a new plan may be kind of tricky. I'll mull it over some more. I'm gonna try it, starting today.

FOOD:

Brief re-cap: The Kashi Pesto Primavera Pasta dish from lunch yesterday: Meh. On the upside, it had a lot of veggies, but overall, I just wasn't feeling the flavor. It was just kind of oily and blah. The Lemongrass Coconut Chicken on the other hand- totally awesome.

For dinner, I went with salmon tacos with a side of green beans. And I discovered a new way to jazz up green beans a bit: salt, pepper, couple sprays of spray butter and a dab of sour cream. The extra bit of creaminess just really made the beans taste, well, awesome.

breakfast:
fat-free greek yogurt w/ strawberries- 2
Special K cereal- 1

snack:
kashi bar- 2
baby carrots- 0
PB2- 1

lunch:
Healthy Choice tomato basil penne- 5

snack:
lightfull smoothie- 1

dinner:
chicken- 4
green chile- 1
f.f. cheese- 1
sour cream- 1
smart wrap tortilla- 1
8 oz. coors light- 1

post-dinner:
PB2 sandwich- 2
popcorn- 1
fudge bar- 1
kashi cereal- 1
almond milk- 1
s.f. jello- 0

total points used: 27/27 (Wendie Plan)
activity points: day off
WAPs: 35/35 remaining


EXERCISE:

Since I worked out Wednesday morning (my usual day off), I'm taking today off instead. That, and I'm a little sore from my P90X workout last night. It wasn't too bad. It was still challenging, but I kept up with it better than I thought I would. I actually skipped Chest & Back because I'm in the process of acquiring the proper equipment. I'm getting my dumbbells today and I'm waiting on a door attachment for resistance bands. Apparently, somehow attaching bands to your door and pulling them that way serves as an alternative to the pull-up bar. I might get the pull-up bar eventually, but can't justify the cost right now.

Anywho, so I skipped to the second workout, which was Plyometrics (jump training). I have to give Jillian Michaels some credit on this one, because she does a lot of that in her DVDs too, so I think that's the main reason why I was able to keep up. That, and Tony likes to take breaks. Lots of 'em. Jillian never takes breaks, so stopping every few minutes took some getting used to.

He goes at a slower pace too, which is good in the sense that you can focus on form a bit more and get more out of the move, instead of trying to do it super-fast and half-assing it.

My least favorite move during that whole workout was what he called "Hot Feet." You basically hopped on one leg and tried to make a cross figure with your foot (up, back, left, right). It doesn't sound like much, but staying on the same foot for just 30 seconds KILLED me. Hadn't felt a burn in my leg like that in a long time.

Overall, I liked it (well, as much as you could like a workout DVD called P90X). I liked the pace, I liked the little timer on the bottom of the screen and I like how my ass is killing me right now; that means I pushed myself. I'm looking forward to trying some of the other stuff, especially more of the weight/strength/resistance stuff.

I also got the new[ish] Biggest Loser Bootcamp DVD in the mail yesterday, so I'm still debating on trying that tomorrow or doing another P90X workout. I'm not leaving for my grandparents' until the afternoon, so I'll have time in the morning to do something. We'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, what? indeed. I would be pissed. The body is a magical thing. Fucker. It is especially frustrating when you think you hav a great week, and you see something like that. I don't know how you react, but for me, it's one extreme or the other. I will work super hard or eat like a piggy and say fuck it. I am finding because I am aworking out so much and so hard that when I eat a little bit more than normal, my number on the scale is decent.

The Wendie plan works for the plateau.. well. it has for me the few times I have done it and gets me re-motivated to keep on trucking.

How is your weekend shaping up besides going to grandma's? I have a party tonight. I am only going to bring 2 beers with me.. but we'll see how that goes. You know me, if there is beer (esp if people are offering) I will be indulging in it. I have little willpower esp when at a party. When I have it sitting at home, I'm good. It's the social atmosphere where i feel I need to drink.

Salmon tacos... i am so scared of anything that has a fish & a taco in the same line. I don't understand them. I've never googled them or heard much about them. Your thoughts? Opinions? Receipes?

I saw the P90X w/ pull-up bar at Walmart for like $130. No thanks. Interesting info about the bands/door attachement. Thanks for the tip. I really haven't looked into any of it. At all. And thanks for the comparison on this DVD compared to Jillian (how I love her). I honestly don't do DVDs as much as I should. It's because the tv in our basement is OLD school and you can't watch dvd's properly on it. (teh screen goes dark-light-dark-light). I guess I could bring my laptop down there. I did that once before and it was OK. Just a little small. I am so excited to read about your workouts.. and sad that today is my day off. I want to work out!!!

Tamara said...

I don't really eat fish tacos outside of home because a lot of places deep-fry the fish in batter and I'm just not a fan. When I make them, I just cook the salmon, break it up into chunks & toss with some salsa. Grill a couple of corn tortillas, add some cheese and sour cream and that's about it. You could add whatever else you like, but I keep it pretty simple.

I don't have anything else planned this weekend besides the trip. And we're only gonna be there one night and then leave Sunday afternoon, probably. We're having a surprise party for my grandpa, so who the hell knows how I'll do. If i can manage to stay away from booze, I should be fine. I just need to remind myself how crappy it makes me feel, like being dehydrated and getting a shitty night's sleep.