Tuesday, April 27, 2010

New favorite reads.

So, by way of a tweet from Amanda @ Two Boos Who Eat, I came across a new favorite blog, Hollaback Health. The post in particular that got me scrolling down the page more and more was "Don't Feel Guilty If... You Aren't White."

I found it to be an interesting read, followed by some personal thoughts on my own blog, my ethnic background (which resembles a good trail mix, if you will), my social class, my level of education and how it all affects (or doesn't?) my current healthy-minded food and fitness pursuits.

The post didn't necessarily change how I feel about myself or some of the other bloggers I follow, but it was a breath of fresh air to see someone else writing out some of the exact same thoughts I've had since I started following healthy-living blogs. Why yes, I rock a Joy Division T-shirt & Chucks on the weekends (at age 27, which still drives my mom insane). Yes, I kinda like love adding chia seeds to things now. I run. But hell no, I will not spend $23 on a jar of peanut butter (unless there's some sort of rad 10 second, full-on orgasm guarantee. Doubt it!).

That said though, I have looked at some of the more popular health blogs out there and will not even try to pretend that some of those posts had absolutely zero influence on my blog (or even my life, when trying new products, recipes or workouts). How could they not? And there have been times, no lie, where I've completely censored myself in a post or wrote certain paragraphs with very specific audiences in mind. It's all part of the process, I guess. As I continue to recover from binge eating and try to step with a healthy foot forward though, I do think I need to laugh more and censor less. And why not? I'm actually damn hilarious. Well, some of the time.

So where am I going with all of this? I don't friggin' know, haha. I guess my main points were to tell you to start reading some of the posts on Hollaback Health (if you aren't already) and to tell myself that it's ok to let my hair down a bit more when posting, letting things flow naturally and not be afraid to make with the jokes from time to time. Something, something "part of the journey" or something or other.

5 comments:

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

Hell yes to Joy Division and chucks. I still wear my converse all the time (so does Andy) despite my plantar fasciitis. I love them. I don't care that I'm 26 years old.

I'm glad you liked the post. I loved it!

Tamara said...

@Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat)

Ha- I have no arches to speak of, but I still wear Chucks. Just throw in my orthodics and I'm good to go. Pretty sure I'll still wear them when I'm 80.

Bess @ I Dream of Greenie said...

While we're on the subject of shoe confessions, I'll admit that I am 29 years old and my favorite pair of shoes are my custom designed Nike Dunks (that look like something Punky Brewster would wear).

Very insightful post Tamara and great dialogue on HBH today!

Elisabeth @ joggerslife.com said...

Um excuse me. I wear chucks. So does my black boyfriend.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Thank you. I really needed to see something positive this afternoon about my Hollaback post. I feel like everything was going well this AM, and then it took a turn for the worse. At some point, everyone started to misconstrue the point of the post...but, I guess that happens.

Oh well...it's not going to stop me from stirring things up again soon.

Tamara said...

@Elisabeth @ joggerslife.com

Keep stirring shiz up! I really enjoyed reading what you had to say.