Monday, February 22, 2010

Booo! Get off the stage!

This Monday morning hasn't left the best taste in my mouth, but I'm trying to stick to the positive thinking. I've been trying to do that a lot lately... Sometimes I'm successful, and sometimes, not so much.

To start my workout this morning, I tried Jari Love's latest Body Rock DVD. Booooo. I'm sad to say I was not instantly stoked by this one. And really, that's my fault for knowing that it included dance routines (not a fan) and buying it anyway.

The first half is cardio moves led by Jari and her team (mostly knee ups and versions of jumping jacks done at ridiculous speeds) alternated with various dance moves led by some chick named Angie. So annoying. Salsa crap. "Jazz" crap. The only one I found tolerable was the Hip-hop routine because it was the least complicated and incorporated descent resistance and cardio. I was actually looking forward to the disco routine, but that was pretty crap too.

For the record, I can dance. I don't claim to be the best, but I's gots rhythm and I'm not afraid to swing my hips or, if necessary, thrust my pelvis. But dance-based workout routines, where you're expected to learn and master the moves in a couple of minutes? No thank you. I think I was more optimistic about the idea of dancing when I bought the DVD, but now, meh.

I was disappointed with the editing too. During the dance segments, the camera would cut off right above the dancers' knees, so I couldn't fucking see how or when to be kicking and/or stepping and to which sides.

And when it was time to switch back to Jari's cardio moves, the screen just cuts to them immediately, where everyone is already doing the moves at a fast pace; no introduction whatsoever.

After the first half hour (more like 24-25 minutes), Jari leads you into a cooldown stretch before moving on to the next segment, weights & abs. At this point, I turned off the DVD and went into my workout room to run 3 miles on the treadmill and get a real cardio workout. Since I had done Jackie Warner's Power Circuit DVD the day before, I wanted a break from strength & resistance. I'll go back and give the Weight & Abs routine a shot later, as some of the Amazon reviews agree that that's the better half of the DVD anyway.

I still have two other new [older] Jari DVDs to try, so hopefully those will be more in line with her usual format. Also, quick side note: I'm starting to love the Jackie Warner DVD btw, despite how sore it makes me... It's a lot better now that I know how fast you're expected to follow along.

After my let down of a workout, I was disappointed to learn that no, our campus was not in fact on any kind of snow delay, so I had to walk to work in the crummy weather. But it's not the first time and certainly not the last, so I'm over it.

On to breakfast...

Since I was in a bit of a crap mood, I almost bailed on taking pictures today, but finally decided I should since I wasn't having my usual bowl of oats. GASP!



Two turkey sausage links, pumpkin/egg "soufflé" and a banana.

Over the weekend, I pretty much ate all carbs (and didn't drink enough water), so today, I'm cutting back a bit ("bit" is the keyword here, people) on starchy foods where I can.





Basically, I microwaved 1/4 cup egg substitute, 1/4 cup canned pumpkin, splenda, cinnamon & nutmeg. The nutmeg almost ruined this dish! I don't know what possessed me to add it to an egg-based mix (I usually just add it to oats and sometimes, spinach), but I did and I regretted it immediately. Oh well. Next time? Cinnamon = good, nutmeg = bad.



I added a drizzle of sugar-free maple syrup to help out the flavor a bit and it did.



I was gonna skip the banana as part of the "less starch" approach, but it was ripe and calling my name.

Morning snack:



1/2 cup 0% Fage yogurt with 1/4 cup pineapple chunks. Packet of Barney Butter on the side (LOVE these portion-control packets!)

That's all for now. Lunch and afternoon snack post to follow later this afternoon. Hope everyone is having a good morning!

No comments: