Monday, February 15, 2010

Guilt and cramps and running, oh my.

What better way to start a Monday morning than with food guilt and menstrual cramps? Huzzah! Actually, I'm trying to be in as good a mood as I can. Yesterday's eating sucked. I started the day off right with a 30 Day Shred workout and my oatmeal, but the rest of the day quickly turned into nothing but chocolate candy, cashews, chips and ice cream. On the upside, I stopped myself before reaching that painful level of fullness. But I used a silly holiday as an excuse to feast on more crap, even though I had already indulged the day before.

Gah. Oh well. Beating myself up never accomplishes anything, so here I am, pushing forward and moving on. I woke up at 4:30 this morning and decided to get out of bed and head to the gym. My original plan was to sleep until 5 and just work out at home, but once I woke up earlier, I figured going to the gym would be a better choice.

I was the only person in the cardio room for almost 30 minutes, so it was nice to enjoy the quiet alone time. I ran a warm-up mile, then switched to incline training. I alternated that with running in 10 minute intervals until I cracked 5 miles.

Thanks to all of the extra sugar in my system, I was able to push myself out of my 4-mile comfort zone and kick up my distance a bit. I've ran 5 miles before, but it's been a loooong time since I last tried. Although I was still feeling a bit guilty about my bad food weekend, I couldn't help but feel proud of myself for cracking 5 miles before 6 am. It's nice to feel that sense of accomplishment early in the day.

I'm a bit more motivated to try and do another 5 miles on Wednesday. If I nix the incline walks, I could cut my time down a lot too (this morning, it took me between 55 and 57 minutes to finish, but that was with 20 minutes of walking during the inclines).

My speed is getting better again (6 mph is now my 'jogging' or 'warm-up' pace, versus 5 mph). I'm averaging about a 9:30/mile, but would like to work it down to a 9 min. mile. I'm not too concerned with getting much faster than that. I'm not training for a marathon, so I'm not going to kill myself by trying to get down to 8 or 7 min. miles. As a personal fitness goal, 9 minutes (or as close as I can get) would be pretty sweet. Overall, I'm still just happy to be running, period. For several years, even going back to my childhood, I couldn't run because I was too heavy and out of shape. I've only been running for about a year, so I still get excited at the thought of being able to run X minutes non-stop.

Anywho, the run left me feeling pretty good all morning until I got to work and sat down at my desk. Those time-of-the-month cramps seem to hit almost immediately, thus crushing my mood a bit. But I don't like being in pissy moods, so onward with the positive thoughts! Take that, hormones!

After the gym, I came home and mixed my usual Chocolate SuperFood with water.

Then, for breakfast:



bowl of oatmeal made with 1/2 cup oats, 1 banana, 1 tbsp. ground flax, 1 tbsp. PB2, cinnamon and 2 tbsp. reduced-fat shredded coconut (forgot the vanilla extract again, dang it!).

Once I use up the last banana tomorrow, I'll probably switch to pumpkin as a new mix-in. I'm totally on an oatmeal kick right now, as boring as that may seem. I can't help it though; I love experimenting with the mix-ins and the stuff has been holding me over for hours, which is especially helpful on weekdays. I'm just gonna keep eating it until I get sick of it. That said though, I think I need to make a trip to Costco after work and buy some oats in bulk; the canister I have now will no doubt be empty in a few days.

Snack:



1/4 cup fat-free cottage cheese with about 1/2 cup blueberries.

Lunch:







1 Good Grains bagel from Eisten Bros., spinach, turkey slices, reduced fat provolone and red bell peppers. Pear on the side. This sandwich actually ended up tasting way better than I thought it would! I've never tried the Good Grains bagel before, but it has this subtle sweetness to it that complements the turkey and bell peppers really well. And of course, it was super-hearty, making it a filling meal. I'm glad I saved it for a sandwich instead of just toasting it and slapping on some cream cheese (though I'm sure that wouldn't have been half bad either). Maybe it's just been too long since I last had a bagel sandwich, but I was really happy with this. It was simple, yet it still made me have one of those "I LOVE FOOD!" moments.

Snack:



Jazz apple.

Dinner pics to come later tonight or tomorrow. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

No comments: