Saturday, February 20, 2010

I could get used to this.

So my 3 mile run this morning turned into a 4 mile walk/jog/run. Eh, I'm cool with that. Had some good tunes playing, so I took advantage of being in the privacy of my own home and busted out plenty of air guitar, air drums and a handclap or two. Y'know, the types of things I can't really do at the gym without people thinking I've lost my marbles. Heh- 'losing my marbles.' What am I, 80 years old? Sheesh.

Anywho, I decided to do a quick breakfast post because, yes, it WAS that good:





In today's mix:
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 small mashed banana
  • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup pineapple chunks
  • 1 tbsp. unsweetened reduced fat coconut
  • 1 tbsp. ground flax
  • vanilla extract
  • cinnamon
  • nutmeg
  • splenda
I guess I should make a quick note that I cook my oats with just over a cup of water. Sometimes I'll split the water with soy or almond milk, but usually just water is good enough for me.

After the run and LOTS of stretching (still sore. gah!), I headed for the shower. And for the first time in months, I actually kinda loved what I saw in the mirror. My response really was "Damn, I look good!" Overall, I was pleased- I didn't have the urge to immediately start picking myself apart and looking for flaws. I was genuinely happy with my appearance. And as my heart rate continued to come down from the run, I felt pretty damn good too. I'm not sure why I tried to fight this feeling so much before... Could've saved myself a lot of trouble.

I know my perception of myself will probably change weekly, but now, when I start to hate on my body, I'll just remember this day and how naturally positive I felt about myself, without even trying.

Perhaps this change is just part of the process of treating myself better... I've been taking the time to enjoy what I eat instead of fearing it and learning to appreciate what good workouts do for my body, besides burn calories. I *think* this is a big step, finally moving me away from weight-loss and/or weight maintenance and just being healthy. It's all new and tingly, but I ain't skeered ;D

No comments: